The most commonly used core block types used in Magento layouts
- core/template: This block renders a template defined by its template attribute. The majority of blocks defined in the layout are of type or subtype of core/template.
- page/html: This is a subtype of core/template and defines the root block. All other blocks are child blocks of this block.
- page/html_header: Defines the header part of the page which contains the site logo, top links, etc.
- page/template_links: This block is used to create a list of links. Links visible in the footer and header area use this block type.
- core/text_list: Some blocks like content, left, right etc. are of type core/text_list. When these blocks are rendered, all their child blocks are rendered automatically without the need to call thegetChildHtml() method.
- page/html_wrapper: This block is used to create a wrapper block which renders its child blocks inside an HTML tag set by the action setHtmlTagName. The default tag is <div> if no element is set.
- page/html_breadcrumbs: This block defines breadcrumbs on the page.
- page/html_footer: Defines footer area of page which contains footer links, copyright message etc.
- core/messages: This block renders error/success/notice messages.
- page/switch: This block can be used for the language or store switcher.
Insert blocks into the config file with this syntax:
<block type=”page/html” name=”root” output=”toHtml” template=”example/view.phtml”>
where type indicates where in your layout the block will be drawn